Psalms 119: 9-16
How can a young man cleanse his way? By taking heed according to Your word. With my whole heart I have sought You; Oh, let me not wander from Your commandments! Your word I have hidden in my heart, That I might not sin against You. Blessed are You, O Lord ! Teach me Your statutes. With my lips I have declared All the judgments of Your mouth. I have rejoiced in the way of Your testimonies, As much as in all riches. I will meditate on Your precepts, And contemplate Your ways. I will delight myself in Your statutes; I will not forget Your word.
How to walk in purity in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation. How to stay pure in a culture that promotes drug use, sexual perversion, fornication, and sin of all types?
1) Taking heed to the Word of God.
Take heed, listen to and pay close attention to the Word of God.
Yes, even in a generation that is prescribed more attention deficient disorder drugs than ever more. Yes, even in a generation that consumes more information than ever before but only in less than 160 character posts. God is still calling us to lay aside all distractions and begin focusing on His Word. The Word has the ability to bring radical life change to those who will listen and put their trust and hope in it. By taking heed to the Word of the Lord we guard/ protect our life from evil and ungodly things around us. Who or what are you taking heed to in your life? see Vs 9
2) Whole hearted commitment to follow after the Lord, seek His face, His will, and His plan for our life. Whole means whole. The Christian life is one of being sold out, all in and fully surrendered. Jesus is Lord of all or He is not Lord at all in your life. When we give God our whole life, (every area) we will see God in our whole life (every area). It is in this place that our foundation is sure and our path is straight. Much of our culture is wandering around aimlessly without purpose and identity, but the high call of God is to come to Him with your whole heart and find His purpose and His identity in your life. see vs 10
3) Hiding God’s Word in your heart. Sin is a powerful force, it is alluring, and even enjoyable for a short time. But the Word is much more powerful, the Word is alive, and it is eternal. The only way to keep sin out of our hearts is keep the Word in our hearts. The Word changes the way we think, talk, walk, and act. Those who hide/store the Word in their heart, value the Word. The value we place upon something determines the care we give it. God’s Word is more to be desired than then all the riches in the world. We must stop being consumed with the world and become consumed in the Word by reading, studying, and meditating upon its truth. see Vs 11
4) Declare the Word of the Lord over your life. We have the power of life and death in our tongue. Speak the promises over your self, your family, and others. see Vs 12-13
When we receive a revelation of all God has done for us. The only correct response is rejoicing.
We live in a generation pumped full of anti depressants and where teen suicide is higher than ever before. We need our joy back, we need our thanksgiving back, we need our rejoicing back.
Beloved God’s Word is the answer. For His Word is the truth that sets the captive free. Every promise is yes and amen! The Word has power to heal the broken, free the bound, make wise the simple, give joy to the sorrowful, give peace to the restless, bring light into darkness. Rejoice in and through the Word! see Vs 14
6) Meditate, contemplate, Delight! I was taught something as a young Christian something that helped me to meditate on scripture. “RWSSP” We should Read, Write, Sing, Say, and Pray it. If we fail to have a relationship with the Word and daily set aside time to meditate, contemplate, and delight ourselves in the Word. We will fail in our relationship with the Lord. But when we meditate on God’s word we prosper and have good success in every area of our life. see vs 15-16
Beloved God’s word is the key to you walking in purity all the days of your life. Dive deep into the Word today and encounter our great God and Savior Jesus Christ. He loves you. He has a plan and purpose for you. When you commit to this journey in the Word you will not only discover who God is but also who you are in Him. It is a beautiful thing to hear and discover the will of the Lord for your life through the Word. I dare you make the commitment today and begin daily diving into the Bible and watch how God changes and transforms your life for His glory.
Be blessed in Jesus name!